This one’s for my fellow foodies! Hopefully you’ve read up on my recent trip to Rhode Island. If not, gwan and catch up HERE. As promised, I’m sharing a couple recipes featuring the tasty apples I picked from Pippin Orchards a few weeks back.
Per usual, I made some adjustments to the recipe that were more aligned with my taste buds. Here’s what I altered:
- I used the filling recipe from the dump cake for both dishes. The only exception is that I added flour to the filling for the apple pie.
- The pecans were omitted because I don’t care for nuts
- The filling was way too sweet IMO. When I make it again I’ll be cutting the sugar down to 1/2 cup brown sugar only.
- I am a firm believer that cinnamon should never be on a journey alone. At minimum, nutmeg should always tag along. For this recipe I chose to use Pumpkin Spice which is a blend inclusive of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice and cloves. I think I used 1 tablespoon. Feel free to use less, I simply just love how it tastes lol.
- If you prefer to taste more apples than cake, I highly recommend using half a box of cake mix for the dump cake. It will give more of an apple crisp-like vibe.
- Honestyly, to make things more fun…add some RUM! Will give it some island flare.
Aside from the adjustments above, just follow the recipes as they are on each of the provided links.
Let me know if you try them out!